Rules are made to be broken...unless you spread lies that can hurt someone.
With that in mind, here are five simple rules to follow before blindly passing on misinformation:
1. Question everything. Just because something has been posted on the internet does not make it true.
2. Think for yourself. Take a moment to pause and consider the information, especially if it's something to make someone look ridiculous. Don't believe it just because you want to.
3. Research the information yourself. There are internet sites such as snopes.com that can help you determine if the information has any merit.
4. Follow the evidence wherever it leads. If you have no evidence, do not pass judgment.
5. Remember...you could be wrong.
IT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD!